The INFP Writers Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What makes good poetry?

2 posters

Go down

What makes good poetry? Empty What makes good poetry?

Post  adverseaffects Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Feel free to discuss or post poems or quotes my other poets...

I think a poem is powerful when it transcends the words it uses and it identifies a common human experience. A poem can, becuse they tend to be vague, allow people to interpet their own subjective meaning onto it so anyone can like it, but I think the most powerful poems, despite people using different words to describe how they experience it, touch on a universal truth... hm....

I have a hard time bringing across what I am trying to say in poems and I think it's because I intellectualize it. I start with a couplet that really sounds good in my head, it just comes out, and from there I'm start trying to concot a rhyme scheme or to prove a point and either it becomes less powerful or the rhythm falls apart. What about you guys??
adverseaffects
adverseaffects

Back to top Go down

What makes good poetry? Empty Re: What makes good poetry?

Post  princess82 Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 pm

I strive for imagery in my poems, or I will try to anyway if I write more poems, 'cause the only poems I've written are the three that are currently on the poetry forum. So I've basically just started writing poems.

Oh wait...I think I've written a couple of poems in high school (it was required), but I lost them.

Also, I think good poems can make you feel an emotion. They don't have to make you feel an emotion, but a lot of them do. When I first read Maya Angelou's I Rise, I just wanted to keep reading it over and over. It's got that sassy toen like you're telling someone off.

princess82

Back to top Go down

Post  adverseaffects Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 pm

lol that's funny I was actually thinking of maya angelou when I started this thread... cause I was like reading her poems... reading mine... reading her poems... reading mine... Shocked no hope for me.... haha. she just has rhythm and energy! WHERE DOES IT COME FROM
adverseaffects
adverseaffects

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down